Thursday, May 17, 2012

15 Things You Should Give Up to Be Happy

    One of my family members posted this link to their facebook this morning.  I found it equally inspirational as the one I shared the link for last week, 15 Differences Between Happy and Unhappy People!  I am always encouraged when I read one of these things and realize how many of these suggestions that I already knew, understood, or live by.  I also find it very inspirational to read suggestions that apply to areas of life that I am currently dealing with.  To read that what I was thinking, but lacking confidence in, is the right answer is really encouraging!  I think we all find it inspirational when we find something that we did not even realize was part of the problem.  Talk about all of the time and effort saved by finding the right advice at the right time.
    It is truly difficult for me to pick a few of these fifteen as more applicable to my life and what I have been going through currently.  I can not begin to express how this morning specifically was just the right time for me to find and read this!   I think one of these 15 that I have to admit really sunk in for me is to give up your need to impress others.  I think that it was not my true intention to please people but that I grew so tired of being so different and feeling so discriminated against and thinking my family was suffering for my unique, independent, eccentric personality.  Now on the opposite side of people pleasing I am back where I had been when I was a teenager and finally stopped people pleasing.  I realize that people are always going to be critical and controlling and discriminate no matter how far you go to please them.  Sadly the same people are always just as critical, controlling and discriminative.  If I am going to catch the same malarkey either way I might as well be living and enjoying my life to the fullest!
    Another one that I found inspirational is giving up attachment.  I suppose I had never heard or read put into words the difference in being attached to some one or thing and loving some one or thing.  The difference being attachment is formed in fear and love is pure and kind and selfless.  Giving up on all attachments leads us to peace!   I think some where in my mind I knew or have experienced this difference.  It is really helpful to see it put into words.
    Giving up living to other peoples expectations to me really ties together with giving up needing to impress people.   To me all of the criticism and discrimination and negativity and disapproval would go away if I just try to at least outwardly try to behave in a situational appropriate method.  The same way I would behave professionally at a job, I would just do the same thing for people who were not comfortable with my true self.   The problem is that that is almost every one all the way down to the nearest and dearest.  In one way or another all but every single person in my life has one problem with me or another with me, my opinions, my optimism, my beliefs, my fashion since, music taste etc...  This article is dead on when they say the problem with this is that sooner or later you forget about your self and who you are and what you like and love!  I have been drowning in this for so long now. 
   I am so glad to have had the opportunity to read this article.  I am even more glad to have to opportunity to share it with all of you! 

Here's the link!

http://www.purposefairy.com/3308/15-things-you-should-give-up-in-order-to-be-happy/

No comments:

Post a Comment