Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

    I started using this homemade laundry detergent about a year ago.  Using this recipe has really saved money for my house hold.  I have had some trouble with it because some times it does not clear stains as well as I would like.  I will tell you today what I have done to tweak this recipe to make it work better for me.
You will need,
1. Bar of your favorite bar soap. ( I prefer Ivory)
2. One cup of Borax 20 Mule Team
3. One cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.

    This website recommends grating the bar of soap and stirring in the other two ingredients for 5 miniutes and enjoy.  They recommend using one tablespoon of laundry for an average size load and two tablespoons for heavily soiled laundry. This type of laundry detergent does not produce soap suds and so it is safe for high efficiency washing machines.
    I have tried a few variations of this and the one that seems to work the best for me is to add 1/2 to 1 cup of color safe bleach powder and one more bar of soap. I also have found out that if I microwave the bar of soap it will puff up and soften and I can smash it up with a fork to about the same consistency as I can get grating it and it seems easier to me. I microwave about 1 minuet on high per bar of soap.
   
This is the website that I found this!
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap/

No comments:

Post a Comment