Monday, April 30, 2012

I love my new Diabetes Diet!

    I just wanted to share how I have changed my diet and how it has changed me and my health already.  The thing I love so much about changing my diet in this way is that the results were basically immediate.  I don't struggle with my blood sugar and I started dropping weight.  I have lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks.  I had started dieting before I found out about the diabetes and had already cut a lot of my sugar out of my diet and I had lost 2 pounds when I went to the doctors appointment that led to me finding out that I have diabetes.  I have lost 7 of that in the last 4 weeks.  It was probably less than that because its been four weeks since that doctors appointment and it took two weeks to confirm that I had diabetes so I guess 7 pounds in 2 weeks.  I seriously get up every morning to every other morning one or two pounds lighter.  It is very exciting and to think I would have struggled for a year or more to get similar results. 
    I have been eating a lot of healthy low fat protein like turkey, and chicken, and beans, and peanuts, and soy milk.  I have been eating green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, and green beans.  I have been eating low fat cheeses like feta.  I don't think the mozzarella cheese sticks that I have been eating are as low fat as I would like but they make a great snack with some peanuts.  I have been eating fruits high in pectin like grapefruits.  I have been making home made vinaigrette salad dressing with white vinegar and olive oil and salt and pepper.  I have been replacing bad fats with healthy fats.  I found Smart Balance Omega Plus margarine, and mayonnaise and peanut butter that has flax seed oil and other healthy oils and plant starols.  I have been eating  Hodgson Mill Steel Cut oats and putting a pat of my Smart Start margarine with about a half teaspoon worth of cinnamon and maybe one ounce of Silk vanilla soy milk and one Splenda with fiber packet.  I have started eating white carbohydrates in true moderation and mainly eat only 100%  whole grain carbohydrates like 100%  whole grain bread.  I did not have much luck with the 100% whole wheat pasta with my blood sugar so I have reduced eating pastas in extreme moderation. I have been drinking Arizona Green Tea, I prefer diet it has 0 calories but even the regular Arizona Green Tea only has 80 calories per 8 ounce serving.  I have been eating fruits and vegetables high in potassium like bananas and potatoes.  I have not had a problem with my blood sugar with these starchy vegetables although some people do.  I have also been enjoying making yogurt smoothies.  I got some plain yogurt and add some soy milk and some ice and what ever fruit I am in the mood for, I have done coconut once and strawberry banana once.  I have added a splash worth of no sugar added juice for flavor once and I have added a sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast package to give a chocolate flavor.  My smoothies are usually not as sweet as most people would like so a packet of Splenda probably would make this better to most people but I like them with the natural fruit flavors.   I have been drinking more water.  I found some sugar free creamer for my coffee.  I some times have a diet soda.  I found some good sugar free candies and cookies.  When I get that just can't take it need a sweet treat craving I have one of these very delicious treats.
    It is very good knowing that I am eating healthy for my body and still just dropping weight like I have never been able to before in my life.  I can't help but thinking that this diet would work for any one who needed to loose weight and not just for people who struggle with Diabetes.  With diabetes on the rise in our country I feel confident saying that I think most people would benefit from a Diabetes friendly diet.  No need to wait to be diagnosed with a potentially life threatening disease to make the change.  One thing is for sure as far as I am concerned, I wish I had some way of knowing just how effective this way of eating would be for weight loss.  I would have been on board with this years ago.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment