Thursday, April 19, 2012

Homemade Strep Throat Prevention

    I found a web site that had this simple recipe for strep throat prevention.  I have used it, and altered it to my liking and had success using this in my home.  I can not find the website now.  I don't like using a source that I can't site.  I will pass the information on by saying this is not original from my mind and if any one knows of the website that I speak of I would love to have the address to add to this post.

You will need
1. One part Listerine equivalent mouthwash.
2. One part honey.

 Mix together thoroughly and gargle.  You can use this three times a day or as needed if you already have strep throat and once a day to prevent strep if you get chronic strep throat.

I use
1. One part Listerine equivalent mouthwash.
2. One part hydrogen peroxide.

    I found the honey and Listerine to not have the best texture or flavor for the frequency of use needed.  In my online research I found that honey is a natural peroxide agent and that is why it is good for oral hygiene and treatment of strep throat, sore throats, and canker sores.  Basically any type of oral health issue.  So I decided to try it with Hydrogen Peroxide and was satisfied.  It bubbles in the back of your throat so it can be difficult gargling but well worth the effort. 
    I could not get my 3 year old to come near any thing mint or cinnamon or anything else he called "too spicy" when he was battling his strep throat battle.  He did have to have his tonsils out.  I did get the rest of my family on board with using this preventative.  I realized at one of my sons doctors appointments that I realized he needed to come to the doctor because my throat was sore.  I have to say that using this treatment none of my other family members needed to have antibiotics for strep even though my 3 year old had it five times in five months. With that much strep exposure my entire family and I may have ended up with needing our tonsils out.  I am glad to say we are all doing much better and even though my son had his toncils out he still has had strep one time.  That is still quite the improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment